Garlic and Lemon Mixture
➢ Juice of 1 large lemon
➢ Fresh ginger: about the length of index finger or about 3 inches
➢ 3 fairly large garlic cloves
➢ 1 cup (8 ounces) boiling water (may add a little more if mixture is too strong)
1. Peel and finely chop or crush three garlic cloves. Leave for at least 10 minutes for the allicin in the garlic to be released. Then, put in a mug.
2. Boil 1 cup (8 ounces) of water.
3. Wash, dry, and grate fresh ginger. Put in the mug with the garlic.
4. Pour boiling water in the mug over the ginger and garlic.
5. Cut lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the water with ginger and garlic.
6. Stir with a spoon, cover with a small plate, and let the mixture steep for at least 10 minutes.
7. Strain into another mug and drink slowly when cool.
Alternative Method: Blend all ingredients and drink.
Health Benefits: This mixture is a great way to boost the immune system against viruses like the common cold, flu, head and chest congestion, etc.
Ginger: anti-inflammatory (reduces inflammation and swelling)
Garlic: antiviral (kills a virus or reduces ability to reproduce), antifungal (kills or hinders fungal growth), antibacterial (prevents the growth or spread of bacteria), antioxidant (protects body cells). Allicin is a compound produced when garlic is crushed or chopped and left for at least 10 minutes before using but not for longer than a few hours. Allicin reduces inflammation and has antioxidant benefits.
Lemon: Good source of Vitamin C, which is an antioxidant (protects body cells)
Disclaimer: The ingredients in some natural remedies may interfere with prescribed medication. If you are taking medication, do not stop, and consult with your medical doctor before taking the mixture above. In addition, always consult with your medical doctor before changing your diet.
Central SDA Health Ministries